Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict oracle user login using osuser account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassidyHunt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
US
I have a need that when a user tries to log into an Oracle account, in my case an account named SYSADM, that it validates the OSUSER is one of the approved users to use that account.

Is this possible with a logon trigger?

Thanks

Cassidy

Hi,
Isn't that account protected by a password known only to authorized users?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

It is protected by a password but problem is that we can't change the password due the impact of the application. One of the authorized users has changed jobs so that has made a need to restrict access by a different means.

Does that make sense?

Not sure how a password change would affect an application.
Does that mean that some proc or script in the app 'knows' the password and uses it to access something?

[profile]

Correct. there are actually 8 or 9 apps that use the users account to authenticate then it switches to this account to actually process the information. Not the best practice but it is what it is and I have to work with it.

Hi,
Then the Logon Trigger may be the only way to go..

This Ask Tom posting may give an idea of how to use OSUSER ( but SYS_CONTEXT is the new way select SYS_CONTEXT ('USERENV','OS_USER') FROM DUAL
) to check the user and take some action - even though this post is about auditing not preventing.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back