Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict concurrent access to a folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLWilts

Programmer
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

In Window$ 9X a share could be set up so that only a certain number of users can access it at one time. How can I do this in Netware?

What I want to do is this:

We have a Netware 6X file and print server and Window$ 2000 clients. I want to set up a share with an .AVI file in it. I want to restrict the number of users who can view this .AVI to 2 or 3 at a time as the bandwidth would just dissappear if all 800 users ran it at the same time.

Any ideas/suggestions as to how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Nor do I, directly. Maybe you can create a specific user with 3 concurrent connections and ensure that only this user has access to the folder where the AVI is? Because of the concurrent connections, only 3 people would be able to log into this user at any one time.

Not the best solution, but the only one I can think of...

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Nor do I, directly. Maybe you can create a specific user with 3 concurrent connections and ensure that only this user has access to the folder where the AVI is? Because of the concurrent connections, only 3 workstations would be able to log into this user at any one time.

Not the best solution, but the only one I can think of...

"It's true, its damn true!"

How ridiculous is that? Don't tell me that Window$ is actually better at file and print sharing than Novell? Windows 2000 server and professional does it on the tick of a box!
I am seriously dissapointed and dissolusioned!!!

Obviously you're a big MS fan, but I've gotta ask, what's this got to do with print 'sharing'?

You're trying to distribute a streaming media file, why don't you deal with it the way you're supposed to, with a streaming media server? A webserver would prevent the saturation of your bandwidth. Your Netware 6X server has the ability to run Apache; in fact it's probably running an instance of Apache right now for administrative tools.

Kick off a public instance of Apache, setup a webpage, and serve (not share) the file from there. Refer to the Apache docs for info on restricting concurrent users or total bandwidth, although I'd bet you don't need to restrict either as a decent webserver will "play friendly" on your network.

Actually not a particularly big MS fan. I was looking for an alternative solution - and that's probably it!

Thanks lawnboy

One little feature doesn't make Windows better. Honestly, this is the first time I've even heard this question be asked. Maybe on a bloated Windows system, it's necessary to implement throttles to control the amount of data the W2K box has to serve up. Otherwise it would kill it. But NetWare is built for performance, not preppy little features that nobody but MS cares about.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

There is only the NDS Concurrent logins restriction that could help you here. Its built-in, its free, try it.
This is not a file-level attribute, but an OS feature you set in Console One.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back