Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict/allow File Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp3232

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I've got some files on a network share drive, and we'd like to have everyone be able to read them, but only a select few be able to write/modify them.

I've used the security tab on the files and can't seem to get it to work. What I've done is used the "everyone" group and set it to "Read and Execute" (write and modify NOT enabled), and set the individual users to have write and modify permission as well.

However, this doesn't seem to have any effect -- it seems that everyone is able to modify the files just as though I hadn't set anything up for them. (and yes, I am the owner of the files as well).

Any thoughts on what I can do to accomplish what I need to do?

Thanks!

asp

First, go to your "share permissions" give the everyone group full control. Then use your NTFS security tab to set your permissions as follows:

Everyone group - read (or read and execute if you prefer)

Others (as required) - allow access to all items except what you don't want them to do.

By doing this everyone can read your share and only those that you allow further control will be able to gain it. It would get complicated to explain why this works but it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back