Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restrict access to websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyd380

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2004
US
I have someone getting on another users computer and going to websites that are not needed for work use. This person works out in the field and doesn't need access to a computer so there is no reason for him to be using it. I want to lock him out of these websites or out of the computer completely. Unfortunately it is Windows 98se. I have set the sites to the restriced sites in the IE security but this doesn't help. It still lets you go to the sites. Is there a good third party program that will either do this or actually make you log in to the network before logging into the computer instead of just hitting Cancel? A free program would be preferred.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Bill

If they're not too smart with computers, you can stop individual websites using the hosts file to translate the url's to the ip address 127.0.0.1.

On the other side, you can restrict internet access to only a couple websites by adding a fake proxy server, then manually adding in websites in which the system will not use the proxy.

Hi

My company used to use a program called We Blocker and netnanny, this would prevent users from getting onto adult sites, I think you can even block site of your choice also

As far as I know, both free and quite effective

Cheers

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back