Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict a XP user

Status
Not open for further replies.

balajee

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
NZ
Hi

Can somebody let me know how do I restrict a user, with limited access type account, from installing any program on a XP machine.

Thanks,

??? A limited user already can't install any programs. No further restriction is neccessary.

In your control panel under user accounts you can create an account and click limited users be sure not to give them administrative rights or else it isnt going to do ya any good.

I do not know how but one of the users on my machine with limited access could install a software.

If the software does not make entries into the system portion of the registry, and does not make entries into any system folder, the install will succeed.

I think I did not make myself clear. My machine is a stand alone one, but there are other people who have accounts(limited access). I read that XP machine in a domain environment can have a account of "Standard" type where the "Install/unistall" capability is not available. Is ther no way I can have similar facility in stand alone Windows XP?

If someone in the family manages to install software on the computer, they might be using your password and logging on under your administrator account.

Here's a bit of information on Group Policy, a mountain of it is available via Google, and don't forget Help and Support. I have tried to arrange the links from basic to complex. Hope it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back