Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Windows 2008R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamus19

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
CA
Has anyone had any luck restoring Windows 2008R2.
I have had a ticket open with CA for almost 5 months now. What I was wanting to do was document a restore for Windows 2008R2. I knew it needed a floppy so documentation was required. When trying on a test server found out that all Windows 2008R2 have a System Reserved Partiton. This System Reserved Partition is similar to the hidden BOOT folder and hidden BOOTMGR on all Windows2008 Ent. and Std that are NOT R2. In R2, separate partition is created called system reserved partition which the BOOT folder and BOOTMGR are located. The problem is, CA Arcserve successfully completes a backup of all my Windows 2008R2 however I cannot restore because of this System reserved partiton. I get the error: BOOTMGR is missing.
At first I thought this was a VMware issue because within the VM Window 2008 R2 you can see the System Restore Partition.
I believe its because the System Reserved Partition, its not allocated a drive letter, but is active.
I have tried allocating drive letter, tried changing C drive to Active, Tried deleting the System Reserved Partion using bcdboot c:\windows /s c: then changing C to Active. I know I can't be the only one with Windows 2008R2 and CA Arcserve 12.5 sp1. Has anyone had any luck restoring Windows 2008R2 Server. The problem is that the backup always says successful, however I cannot restore?

Floppy DR is only supported with W2K.

For W2K8R2 you can use Bootable CD, floppyless, or physical and RO09230 is needed.

But if you have already worked with CA then you know all that, however perhaps someone else will benefit from the above.

I've not tried a DR with that version of Windows. What I have found that almost every aspect of the configuration influences DR and has the potential for causing a problem. It might be more than just the System Reserved Partition since base configuration is included in QA testing and a necessity for certification.

For this issue this is a Virtual Server(VMware)Windows 2008R2, so it does see the virtual floppy and boot according to VM DR procedures with CA.
I installed the RO09230 patch this is only for CA Arcserve 12.5 I have loaded CA Arcserve 12.5SP1, so not I have other issues, so if you are running CA Arcserve 12.5SP1 don't install this patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back