Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Toolbox to an Access DB already in use 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIDA1973

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2003
US
Hi,

I am fairly new to Access and have recently created a DB that has been in use for a month or so. Now I have recieved a request to add a few text boxes. Simple enough, I think. I go into the DB and at first it looks like EVERYTHING is locked down. I cannot get into design mode, there is no toolbox, etc. Very limited toolbar options. I finally discover that pressing F11 gets me my DB "master window" back, and I can now go into design mode. However, I STILL cannot get my toolbox back. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am sure there is a very simple answer...

Thanks,
Matthew

Everything in its right place...

When you open the database hold down the shift key and it will remove all the startup options giving you all the menus and toolbars back.
Another way to do this but only if you have Access 2000 is (as long as you haven't disabled the shortcuts) to press F11 to bring up the DB window. Then moving your mouse onto one of the database objects and right clicking you can select startup options and put the menu and toolbars back from here.
There are several FAQ's on this site that deal with this subject if you need more information.

Booiinnggg ... Zebbeddee ... Booiinnggg

Thanks Zebbeddee...I have already discovered the F11 functionality (as I stated in my first post), but I should have also mentioned that I cannot right click anywhere on the database components, so I am unable to get to the startup options. I know that I have gotten around this previously, I just can't recall now. I will go and search the FAQs though...
Thanks

No, he gave you the answer. Close the database and re-open it while holding the SHIFT key down. This will bypass your startup. Then go to Tools->Startup and fix whatever you need to.

When you open the database hold down the shift key and it will remove all the startup options giving you all the menus and toolbars back.

foolio12 - If I cannot right click on any of the database components, how am I to get to the Startup options? I have opened the database while holding down SHIFT (I thought that it would be assumed that I had tried the solution posted before I posted again), but the only thing this does is give me my "database master window", I still cannot right click on anything, whether in design mode or not. Anyone?

Thanks,

That's a very odd (neat) thing he did, disabling the right mouse button. I suppose you can import all the objects into a new database and find the code that disables/enables the right mouse button, then re-enable it. At any rate, he should have re-enabled the right mouse button when the application closes, so that you can use it for other Access databases.

Or maybe I'm not reading the question right, and this isn't what you need.

Zebbeddee and Foolio12 -

Okay, you guys were both right...holding down SHIFT was the right thing to do. It did not work at first, because the DB is server-based and the SHIFT command wasn't getting included in the request to the server for the DB because I wasn't holding it down long enough (you can't just hold it down while double clicking the icon for the DB, you have to hold it down until the DB is done loading from the server) - I discovered this by moving the DB to my local harddrive and opening it there with the SHIFT. Of course it worked great. Then I realized it was network lag not getting my SHIFT command to the server-based DB when I open it. Anyway, thanks for all your assistance!

:)
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back