Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring the backed up files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faheem786

Programmer
Sep 5, 2001
HK
Hi there,

I have an identical database on two different host servers (load balance servers) which I would like to combine as one table locally for creating some report.

The databases are exactly the same but the data are different.

I got the backup files of both the databases. Now I would like combine both the databases into one. I have the same database on my local sql server.I know how to retsore one backup file at a time by going into the sql server enterprise maneger. But when I restore the second file the first set of data gets deleted.

Is there any way so that I can just append the data instead of overwriting the old one?

Thanks
Faheem

You cannot append data using RESTORE. You must restore the 2nd database with a different name and then append the data to the 1st database. You can do that with SQL insert statements or use the Import/Export Wizard to copy the data. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your answer. But how could I import from the backup file using import export wizard. How I will select that backup file in data source??

Pls help me..

Thanks again
Faheem

Faheem,

Did you look at BCP - depending on the size of your tables this might be a faster way of doiing the job.

Use BCP to download both tabels to flatfiles from their original databases. Create a new table and load both flatfiles into it using BCP again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back