Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Tape Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello. I hope someone is able to help me. I am running BE 7.3 and I cannot restore from tape backup. When I attempt to restore the active job goes into a "Pending" state and does not come out of it. Usually when the software freaks out I can recover it by stopping and restarting the services. This time that did not work.

Any help you may provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Tracy

Have you inventoried and catalogged the tape you want to restore?

Once catalogued, when you make the selection to restore, you need to insert the correct tape. The software may be waiting for you to insert this.

AndrewClarke:

Hello. Thank you for replying to my message so quickly. I hvaen't inventoried or catalogged the tape. However, I am almost positive that I was using the tape it was requesting. Do I have to catalog and inventory or just one or the other? My backup failed last night also, so as soon as that finishes I will test it out. Thank you again for you help.

Tracy

Hi,

You must catalog the tape, so that you can see what files are actually stored on it. Depending how it's set up, BE will usually keep details of this in the catalog database, but to be sure catalog it.

Before cataloging (I really don't have a clue how to spell that word), you'll have to inventory the drive. This will allow you to see the correct name of the tape in the drive. I've found most people don't give the tapes meaningful names and just leave the default DLT000012 style names.

So Inventory, catalog and then go to the restore selections tab and look for the tape. Remember that the details here are not grouped by tape, but by date and selection so make sure you select the correct one. Then run a restore job on that selection and you should be motoring.

Let me know how you get on. ;-)
If you need any more details, post details of what you need.

Regards

Andrew Clarke:

Hello! Thank you so much for all of your help. I was able to inventory,catalog and then restore the database from a backup. You have saved me so much time and energy and for this I am truely greatful to you.

I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back