Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RESTORING SQL DATABASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooby12

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
GB
i need to restore a sql database to another server, not the original server? is this possible. anything i need to do?

i have tried but the job fails with error e8601, failed to connect to agent. unknown user / password.

i have put in the correct details for sure.

some background to the backup

1) the orignal server was in a differnet domain, with a differnt IP and server name.

thanks for any help ppl.

Is the backup account that the backupjob was set up with a domain account?
If, yes maybe that is causing you problems since:
"1) the orignal server was in a differnet domain, with a differnt IP and server name."
I also don't know if the different server name and IP address can cause some issues, but there is clearly some sort of authentication issue.

Common sence is not so common anymore

I believe the machine name and IP address should not be a problem. It sounds more like a security issue to the destination machine. I believe you will need to enter the security for the destination SQL machine. It has been a while since I have done this. It sounds like the security entered does not have permission to connect to the SQL agent or the SQL server. I do not believe that information on the security of the source is stored anywhere. Also, the newer versions of ARCserve have a separate database agent tab when verifying the security for the restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back