Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring specific registry key

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG5

MIS
Nov 18, 2001
US
One of my developers asked me if the registry gets backed up every night to which I replied yes. I've always known this was included as part of the system state restore, and when I was on 5.9, I could have sworn that I was able to recover individual keys if needed. As a test, I restored the registry to an out of place location. It restored fine, but as hive files instead of .reg files. Is there a way to restore it as a .reg file or files? I'm on 7.0 SP5 right now - the client is 7.0 SP4.

Thanks.

I don't think there has ever been any way to restore specific keys from a System State backup has there?

There is a work around, as long as the data you require is in HKU or HKLM, which will allow you to get specific keys by restoring the hives to an out of place location, and opening the hive with Regedit.

Just tested the method you mentioned and it works fine. Guess I was wrong about the individual key method - been years since I tried that.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back