Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring server from Windows 2000 backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBarrie

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
GB
I have tried restoring a full system backup of a Windows 2000 server to a different machine. This backup consists of the C: drive and system state and restores in full without any errors. However, after the restore has completed I cannot install drivers. I get an error message "You do not have sufficient security privileges to install devices" while I am logged on as an administrator.

This server is not a domain controller and I am logging on with the same local user ID and password as the administrator account on the original machine that the backup was taken from. Can anyone explain why this occurs and how I should be restoring from a full backup?

Just a long shot here but...you may have some file corruption (due to the restore).

Run SFC /SCANNOW. That checks for any windows files that have been corrupted/replaced.

Also, its best to restore to similar hardware. If you restored to different hardware, you may run into some problems. Do you see any event viewer errors in your system log?

Another suggestion: Just to make sure that you have admin rights, I would create a new user on the server and give this user admin rights. Try to update the driver using this account. This is just a test...

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back