Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring "NORTON Ver 1E" files from Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicjedi

Programmer
Dec 7, 2011
US
I had a bunch of ancient (circa 1994) 3.5" floppies with archive files with names like "CC40929A.001": one file per disk. The first line in each of these files reported "NORTON Ver 1E". There were many Web pages that helped me figure out how to decipher these files, but the solution was a combo platter which took me most of a day to figure out. Ug. Anyway, here's how I did it... roughly...

Info pages that I found useful (not required reading):

Step 1. Download something called MSBACKUP:
Source listing: Download link:

Step 2. Uncompress downloaded file into a folder (I did this on my ancient Windows XP desktop--circa 2001).

NOTE: My PC had all drives not really working, so I attached an external 3.5" floppy drive via a USB (1.0) port. If your 3.5" drive is working, so much the better. (And you can also recover the archived files directly, but the directory path to them will need to be very particular--something like "./DEFAULT/CC40929A.FUL/", which is the rough subdirectory name you should put the archived files.)

Step 3. Follow the following ROUGH steps... :)

Attach USB external floppy 3.5" drive (not necessary)
Launch MSBACKUP.exe

NOTE: The first time you launch this you should go through the configuration steps... It had some problems with my computer, but I specified to ignore any problems and go ahead with the configuration as much as possible....

Select Restore (R ENTER)
Select Catalog...
Select Rebuild...
Set MS-DOS textfield to "Drive: B:\" (or whatever drive you want to use)
Select MS-DOS and then OK (D ENTER)
After you load all of the disks (should be quick), select Load (ENTER)
Set the "Restore From" to "MS-DOS Drive and Path" and text field to "B:\"
(or you can restore from the C:\..., but it's strange with its added subdirectories)
Set "Restore To" to "Other Directories"
Select "Select Files..." and hit space
Find the files to restore, press space bar on each file, and then select OK (ENTER)
Select "Start Restore" and follow directions
Put files to be restored into a sensible location.

Good luck!

PS: I had success: all files recovered. ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back