Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Nortel Voice Mail (Total Hard Drive Crash) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmesarch

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2004
US
Our StarTalk hard drive went down the other day. My companie's phone guy recommended buying a new StarTalk box (at $6,000). I (the IT guy) said hey...let me look at the hard drive. Well now I have it on my bench and have recovered the boot track and MIGHT be able to salvage the data. It'd be great to transfer it all to the new WD 21200 hard drive I found. Unfortunately I don't know what the 'real' file structure looks like for the system (what files go where). I can tell that it was running OS2 and I can see the individual mailbox files, but that's about it.
In either event, I know that we don't need the entire new grey module box (at $6,000) even if we needed to purchase the software to re-load it....what are my REAL options here?

I mean, is there somewhere that lists the file structure? Is it possible to get the software so it can be loaded (via hyper terminal or something) with our original RAW data (for mailboxes, etc.)?

Thanks!

vendor should be able to get hardrive for you unless its a old startalk most vendors wont"to hard to find" ...just so they can sell new nam...also should be able to find a refurbished nam alot cheaper and depending on users a call pilot may also be cheaper what are the releases on ksu and vm...hom many ports on vm

ONLY 21 WEEKS TILL SKI SEASON STARTS

I have seen this person selling Startalk HD's on ebay. bdop(888)772-2367 do a search for items by that user and you will find the HD's he sells. I have bought his NAM HD's and they work just like the an OEM.

Worth a shot for a short money.

exsmogger, you might have a point. $6000 is about right for a brand new NAM. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for an old Startalk C (boat ancor model).

The guy I listed above can get you any HD for the NAM. You just need to tell him which one you have. I have dealt with him twice and both times they worked without too much trouble. One of them had the jumper wrong on the HD, but that took me 2 seconds to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back