Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Exchange to test server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimeortega

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2004
US
Hello all,

I'm trying to recover Exchange IS using BExec 8.6 on a 2000 server.
According to this doc, , I have to create a new exchange server with the same host name in a different forest and use the redirect feature in BExec to restore the IS to the new server.

Is that feasible? I can easily build a new 2000 server machine with the same name as the old exchange name an put it in a new forest. But what will happen when I connect the new exchange to the rest of the network? Will my production network complain about some other computer having the same exchange name?? And what about the redirect? How do I access the same machine name on a different forest?

Thanks!
-Jaime Ortega

I've seen it work redirected to a separate server name; however, in this instance setup a separate AD forest on the same machine, point DNS to the localhost, and ideally keep it on a subnetwork (e.g. VLAN) from your production environment. Restore the mailbox....

Alternatively, you can place manual DNS A records on AD for your Exchange servers. This way client's won't be redirected to the restore server. To have your backup server find the restore server simply change the hosts file to redirect to the restoration server. Hope that these tips help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back