Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Exchange to a different server

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkrck

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
US
I am running an Exchange 2000 Server, with Arcserve 2000 WGE installed. I do nightly full backups, and have the addition of a Brick Level backup on Friday Nights. My question is, can I restore the databases to a different server for the purpose of retrieving content from one mail box? I have been told by Tech support at CA that I can't do this, but I have proven the techs there wrong before.
The reason I ask is simply that the Brick Level backups are not reliable, and take way too long.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Dennis

You can definitely restore an Exchange Database to another server, as long as the new server is setup properly (need to setup the installation so it looks like the old one - same organization/site name).

Best place to look for information is Microsoft's site - look for the white papers on protecting/recovering exchange...

Ok, that makes sense. Of course I could not join the domain with this server. So then I would have to make sure that I had at least enough disk space to restore the database I choose? Does it matter if it's a smaller array than the original? How would I then retrieve the mailbox?

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi,

Read thru these papers...

Exchange 2000 Server Disaster Recovery Technical Papers
· Exchange 2000 Server Database Recovery · Mailbox Recovery for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server · Back up and Restoring Connectors on Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server · Exchange 2000 Server Disaster Recovery: Worst-Case Survival Handbook · Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery Other Technical Papers
· Active Directory Disaster Recovery · Deploying Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Clusters with SP1 · Deploying Exchange 2000 Server Clusters with Service Pack 2 · Storage Solutions for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Additional Disaster Recovery Documentation
· Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Resource Kit You can order a copy of Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Resource Kit from Microsoft Press® at · Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit You can order a copy of Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit from Microsoft Press at · Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Planning and Installation Guide, Chapter 14, “Back Up and Restore”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back