Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Exchange mailboxes *.edb *.stm 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

libroos

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
SG
Hi,

My Exchange Server crashed. All the log files and databaes files are backed up. However, I do not have a very good guide to restore the databases and the mailboxes.

Currently have created new mailboxes for my users so that they still can receive emails. However, I need to restore all the old mails from the old databases, so that at least they still can access.

All advice are appreciated..

Thk u..

libroos

OnTrack ( )has a software package called Power Controls that will open the DB files and allow you to extract the data to pst files on a per user basis. Very easy to use, works well on good and corrupt databases.

The free demo version may have all of the functionality you need, but I love it so much I bought a copy for every day restores. Much better and faster then BrickLevel backup/restores.

I totally agree. I just installed the product this week and it's awesome!

Hi Anawrocki, forbsy,

I have about 10 users. Hence, is this software able to extract individual mailboxes out?

Apart from this, I see a lot of logs, one file named tmp.edb.

Here are few files which are as below:
1. priv1.edb 2.7GB size
2. priv1.stm 5.7GB size

3. pub1.edb 8MB size
4. pub1.stm 8MB size.

As right now I've re-created the exchange mailboxes for individual users, all the mailboxes are thus cleared. They do need the previous emails from the databases as shown below. I shall try to use ontrack to extract the databases out.

Thank you for the prompt advice. Much appreciated.

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
libroos

can you copy the old databases and transaction logs over? or were they lost? you could just repoint your logs in system manager.
did the server crash? if so you should've ran setup /disasterrecovery and then went from there

hope it helps

Absolutely. It's actually meant as a single mailbox restore product. You could even extract a single task item from a user's mailbox if that's all they required.

Hello,
thanks alot for the tip, about the Power Control software, i installed it, and i managed to extract the .edb file to outlook, but now i do not have the option to copy and paste.
it keeps telling me that i need to buy it.
is there anyway to do this , i cant buy the software today, it hase to be approved first, and the guy in a vacation.
its really important for me to fix this.

any help will be really appreciated.
thanks

Hi guys,

I've purchased and downloaded the Powercontrol v1.1 Standard edition and had installed on my Server. However, not all of the emails are recovered. I would say 80% of the emails can be recovered. Some of the emails are shown blank, which I'm sure there are some words inside, just that they cannot show up.

Any other further advice pls? Thanks.

Cheers,
libroos

Libroos,

Beside of referring to a third party tool, I'll try to explain how you can restore your files (if a backup of the files exists)

1) Stop all Exchange services
2) move the existing databases (\mdbdata\...) to a backup directory (\mdbdata\old\...) (priv, pub, logs) , and clear the existing mdbdata directory.
3) Restore your \mdbdata-folder and files from backup, WITHOUT the log files. When trying to start the Exchange services, they should all start, but your databases wont be mounted when starting the Ex. System Mgr
4) as the files have been restored, but no log file exists for the moment (header between dbase and logfile is different), a "repair" of your databases is needed.
This can be done from the DOS-box with the following command :
* From the Exchange BIN-directory C:\exchsrvr\bin, type &quot;eseutil /p <database path>&quot;
this forces a repair to be executed on your databases.
After repair, your database should mount again.

I hope this can help you further.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Guys
Does this software cater for the public folders also? I need to grab 1 folder in the whole lot!

Cheers

pdtit has provided a good answer there.

I don't see why you need third party tools when there are tools you already own like exmerge and eseutil that will do the job you want.

exmerge extracts all the data from individual users mailboxes and exports them to pst files. It can then merge psts back into the mailbox store.

Thank you Lengoo, OxygenThief,

I've also referred to MSN KB sites and also previous other postings.

I've performed the similar steps as shown above but received a lot errors with the data and the process was terminated halfway.

Hence, I obtained the 3rd-party tool, called On-track, put the priv.edb and priv.stm files into another fresh folder. Installed the PowerControls v1.1 Standard Ed. and had recovered about 90%. Initially, I did not place in the .stm file, and hence can't recover some of the html files. I referred to the FAQs in the OnTrack and did as per advised there. Tried again and managed to recover 90%+ emails and attachments.

Thank you guys.

I deduce why the repair and restoration of the .edb and .stm files were unsuccessful becos the the Exchange 2000 Server has been upgraded from Exchange 5.5.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
libroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back