Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring BExec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo0lz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2002
GB
I'm just about to move BExec to a new W2K Server.

Anyone know of any 'gotchas' with this process?

thanks

Ju

SUBJECT: moving veritas backup exec onto it's own server ( ver 8.5 )

HANDLE: blonde
POSTED ON: Apr 16

QUESTION:
Hi I know that I read somewhere "how to move the backup stuff from one veritas backup to another server." Now I cannot find the helpful hints..or knowledge base item number....can anyone help me out ?? thanks
Blonde.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

HANDLE: univega_r304
POSTED ON: Apr 18, 2001

REPLY:
The best way to do this is as follows:

Install Backup Exec to the new server, including all agents, etc. Verify all the services start and you can use the software. If everything looks good, close Backup Exec, stop all the services (start with the Notification service) and then open Windows Explorer. Locate the Catalogs & Data folder where Backup Exec is installed. Rename these for now. CatalogsOLD and DataOLD is fine. Copy over the catalogs & data folder from the server you want to migrate from. Once everything is copied over, restart the services (start with Agent Browser). When you open Backup Exec now, you should have all your tapes listed in the restore selections & jobs & job history in the under Job Definitions & Job Monitor. Note: You will have to recreate media sets & drive pools if you had these unless you copy over the pvl.mdb file as well.

Always rename the files you intend on replacing in the event that the migration has problems. Call techsupport if you feel uncomfortable attempting this yourself.

============================================

Go to to view/respond to this thread.

Go to to join Tek-Tips forums (membership is free).

Tek-Tips is your resource for the latest tips, help and support for the products you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back