Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring a V440 using Solaris9 and Solstice

Status
Not open for further replies.

McQueen

Technical User
Feb 13, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I currently need to do a full server restore from tape, but the server is running Solstice Disk Suite to mirror all it partitions. Can I just ufsrestore straight over the top of the root partition or do I need to boot from a Solaris9 cd and if so how will it take care of all the metadevices?. Can any one help or point me in the right direction?.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I may be missing something.. Are you doing a full system restore on a server that is running? If so, I would not restore the root partition if it is not necessary. If you are trying to restore specific files, ufsrestore has an interactive that allows you to restore individual files.

The command is ufsrestore -if /dev/rmt/#

Yes I need to do a full system restore not specific files.
I'm just not sure how to do this with solstice Disk Suite running and mirroring the root partitions

Is the root files system the only disk partition that is mirrored? I would break the mirror, boot from CD. Run newfs on all partitions that you are restoring including root's mirror. Do the restore. After the restore, modify the /etc/vfstab file to indicate /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk instead of /dev/md/dsk and /dev/md/rsdk for initial reboot. Install the boot block on root's partition and mirror. Reboot the system. Once the system is rebooted, recreate your mirrors. Make sure the /etc/vfstab file now indicates /dev/md/dsk and /dev/md/rdsk for the root partition. If not, modify the /etc/vfstab file.

It not just the root partition that is mirrored all the partitions are. Can't I just boot from cd restore the relevent partitions eg /, var, /opt without breaking the mirrors?.

McQueen,
I will have to research this... When you do a restore on top of files that exist, you are going to get error messages that state the "file exists"... Not sure if ufsrestore will over write the file or if ufsrestore has the abiltity to over write files that have a 444 privilege. Normally you would get a permission denied when you try to over write 444 privileged files... That is why I said to do a newfs. Normally a full restore is done on a fresh file system. I can only assume that restoring with mirrors attached, will be okay. Its a variable that I wouldn't want to have. I'm on my way to work and will look further into this...

McQueen,
I have read several articles on ufsrestore on metadevices. Each article states that you need to run newfs prior to running a full restore...

Breaking mirror is not mendatory. But iportant to cleanup the old files by newfs. Obcourse to do the whole process - creating newfs, restoring etc you have to boot the system from CDROM. I think this forum got detailed procedure fro such restoration, pls try to find...

Sorted it, Thanks for your help in the end I just did a
straight forward restore to the raw disk edit a few bootup
file to stop Solstice from starting up, now all I have to do is remirror the partitions.

Thanks for you help

bfitzmai
SBSaikia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back