Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RESTORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpal

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
GB
I am trying to do a restore of a file approx 660 bytes how long should this take using the TAR command off a DLT 40/80 medium.

660 bytes - is that right, not MB...?

The deciding factor for something this small is where it positioned on the tape - the actual restoration time will be very small, but positioning the tape may take longer.

Hope it helps,
Dave V.

Dave

I used the following comand tar - xvf /dev/rmt1 /data70/live/export/aud_data_export.lis /home/hsingh/aud_data_export.lis

but after 2 hours I Ctrl C out of it thinking there might somethingn wrong with the command.

So u think it's actual positioning of data on tape

A couple of things here...

1. Are you sure that the tape device is rmt1..?
2. Was the backup done using absolute or relative paths..? This is easily checked by using the tar tvf command / options - take a close look at the file / path; does it start with ./ or just / - you'll need to use the same format when you come to restore.

Cheers,
Dave V.

You may find it useful to user tar -tvf to 'tell' you what is on the tape. This will be quicker than xvf. It will also indicate how far down the tape the file is.

Dave,

I have done a tar -tvf on the dlt tape in question and found the file I want to restore is using full path names the file I want to restore is ./data70/live/export/aud_data_export.lis is the following command correct

tar -xf /dev/rmt1 ./data70/live/export/aud_data_export.lis /home/hsingh/aud_data_export.lis

Thanks

Unfortunately tar does not work like that - the file has been saved using relative pathnames. This means that you can restore it back to your system RELATIVE to your current location - so if you are in /home/hsingh when you restored, the file would be restored to /home/hsingh/data70/live/export/aud_data_export.lis
so that is to say that you can't actually specify the exact location of where the file is to be restored to.

So, change to the directory where you want it to be restored (your home directory?), then use:

tar -xf /dev/rmt1 ./data70/live/export/aud_data_export.lis

Hope it helps,
Dave V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back