Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Trace

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcymarc

Technical User
Oct 2, 2001
US
Hi, I would like to run a restore trace but am unsure which settings would be best. Can anyone advise? Is there a special verbose setting I can use in the bp.conf file?

We are using version 4.5FP_3GA.

Marc.

Hi,
I can tell by your reference to "bp.conf" that you are talking about UNIX. However, I am not sure about the term "restore trace". Do you mean a logfile? That is created with the option bprestore -L progress_log_name. Or by enabling the log in the GUI. I don't know which GUI you use xbp, java, admin console? But they all have a way to enable a progress log.
If you need additional information then you can create the debug log directories under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bp...
Always be careful to have plenty of disk space if you turn on verbose in the bp.conf or perhaps create a link to another file system for /usr/openv/netbackup/logs

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Yes, we use the java GUI for the restores, but the output I see from in the logs is minimal.
Is there a special bprestore verbose setting or do I just crank up the overall setting to 9?

java,
On the "Task Progress" tab there is a box to enable "Full Contents" That will give tape information and a listing of what is being restored and the status of the files/directories being restored. That is the only setting I know for the "Progress Log"

However, if you want more information, there are the debug logs that I refered to in my first response. There should be a file called README.debug that contains information about the debug logs. Some that you may want to look at are:
bpsched
bprd
bptm
bpbrm

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

For unix you need to add the line 'VERBOSE=5' to the bp.conf file on the client. 5 being the max logging. You can also do this via the hosts parameters on the GUI.

Create a usr/openv/netabckup/logs/tar directory asuming you have the standard install. you will then get a log from the restores. The log you will have to look at locally.

OK Thanks. I still am looking for more info in the logs. Maybe as I said our verbose log setting in the bp.conf isn't high enough (it is currently set at 2).

The problem we have is with a bad tape we think but the logs are giving nothing away. The bptm log during the restore merely reports the tape is found but then fails to report anything after that. It just sits there.

That's always a tricky one, it does nothing so there is no error to report.

Have you done a

berror -hoursago 24 -media -U

to pick up any media errors?

Or you could try running a verify on the tape.

following the advice above should sort you out..

Though i don't like GUIs much. Like to do stuff manually

bash-2.03# more blah118*

blah118.sh
::::::::::::::
bprestore -K -L /tmp/restore-nats-alerts-dms-log -C nthdms -R /home/richardb/stuff/blah118a -D nthsunbackup-bkp -S nthsunbackup-bkp -c CL_UNIX_dms -s 02/14/05 17:00:00 -e 02/14/05 18:40:00 -f /home/richardb/stuff/blah118

blah118
/u01/app/oracle/admin/DMS/bdump/alert_DMS*

blah118a
change /u01/app/oracle/admin/DMS/bdump to /u02/for-nat-restorex

Rich

Bah!

Tried the restore again with an increased verbose setting and couldn't recreate the failure....the restore was successful!

Will look at the tape devices used for each restore attempt now *sigh*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back