Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley75

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
someone sent me the backup from SQL 7.0 and I have SQL 2000 running on my machine, the question is how can I import this file into the SQL 2000 server

the following is what I did and please correct me if I am wrong since I am new with SQL server.

1. using OUI to create the database for this back up
2. right click on this new database -> restore the database -> chose restore from devices -> and select devices by browsing to the location of the backup -> click ok and I got the following error:

The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'TEST' database. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

could someone please tell me what happen and show me how to fix this please, it's urgent and I am new with SQL server.

Thanks

Hi,
Your problem is that you are creating the database first before restoring it and you cannot restore directly from SQL7 to SQL2000. I assume you have got the SQL7 .bak file on the server somewhere, what you need to do is in Enterprise Manager, right click on databases, all tasks, restore database. In the name of the databse put your new DB name which does not already exist then click on 'from devices', select devices and add then navigate to your .bak file. When it restores it will automatically be upgraded to SQL2000.
Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back