Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore RMAN backup onto different server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodman00

Programmer
Jan 23, 2001
As a SQL Server person, I am trying to recover our live Oracle database to a test server just to prove the backups work. We have a weekly full database backup using RMAN, along with the control file and archive logs.
I would like to recover the database using the backup, and archive logs onto a different server, preferably under a different name (the database is called live in production).
I have made some progress in recovering the database, but am encountering problems around the disk configuration. The production server has the oracle installation (and datafiles) all situated on the D drive. On the test server, I do not have a D drive (only C).
In order to attempt recovery I took the following steps:
-Copied the backup, controlfile and archive logs to the test server.
-Created an empty database on the test server called LIVE using the database configuration assistant.
-Connected to the target database using rman and issued the following commands:
-Shutdown immediate
-Startup Nomount
-Set DBID = <LiveDBID>
-Restore Controlfile from ‘c:\file’
-All of this worked without error. However, when I try to run ‘restore database’ it fails saying it is unable to find the backup file pointing to the missing d drive.
Is there anyway I can point rman at the file in the different location?
I tried restore database from ‘c:\file’ but this didn’t work.
Any other suggestions?

As an additional question, how difficult would it be to recover the database to a different database name?

Cheers,

James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back