Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanks2112

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2004
US
Hello All,

Arcserve V9
W2K SP4
HP Sure Store Library, 2 Quantum DLT8000 tape drives

We backup using 5 tapes (DLT 80GB/tape) The problem I am having right now is SLOW restore times due to the fact that Arcserve has to read each tape before restoring. Actually thats only half true. If the data is on the first tape it will restore when the data is found which makes for a quicker restore (obviously). However, if data is located on the 5th tape, Arcserve reads every tape in seqence until it finds the data. I have little expeirence with Veritas, but does Veritas work in the same way? It seems that a flag could be added to the database indicating the sequence (or tape) number so it can skip right to that tape.
Thank you!!

Veritas has a tab titled "Restore". You go to that tab and there is a list of all the servers you have backed up. You expand the server, expand the drive and you get a list of backups by date and time. Each backup shows what was backed up and which tape was used. You then select the proper one for Restoring.

In simpler words....Veritas lets you pick the specific tape that your backup is on.

-SQLBill

Veritas has a "robotic Library option" i don't know if it would help or not..We have it installed,but i still don't see any robots???

Arcserve also allows you to do this. You can select the particular session on the tape that you want restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back