Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore onto new server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaughman

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
GB
Been asked to make a backup server as our current server keeps crashing. The hardware is completely different (icl teamserver and Compaq) Have installed the system and the application but when I got to this point last time my manager just said do a full restore from tape and guess what it never worked again. Have therefore got back to the same place but need users/printers/crontab etc etc. Can anybody help me?

More info. please. What are you trying to restore, to where, and how (ie what type of backup was taken to do the 'full restore' from?). If you have a working system, at least it's a start - presumably you need to add cron jobs etc?

using cpio to do the backup and have restored uniclass which is our system. There seems to be alot of extra bits missing i.e samba, printers, users, crontab. There must be a way to get all this back except for the server specific files

Samba - you probably need to download and install for the specific OS you're using (which is?). How many cron jobs do you have? It might be simpler just to crontab -e and add whatever you need from the failing server if there aren't too many. Printers - directly connected or networked. Does your OS have a tool like scoadmin that you could use to configure printers etc? Users - how many?

All this info must be on my backup tape. Surely I must be able to restore it.

Each of those tasks you list can be brought back from the tape, but it's a manual process, which can be time-consuming depending upon the size of the system (and how familiar you are with SCO). You might want to check out Tony's comments about SuperTar utilities here:
With those utilities, you should be able to migrate to new hardware. This is assuming you are keeping with your current version of SCO (which is?).

If it helps, crontabs can be restored to /var/spool/cron/crontabs, but you would probably have to open/edit each one to make cron 'recognise' them as such. Is your cpio written using absolute (ie /full/path/to/file) or relative (usually ./file) pathnames? You might slso be able to copy over /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow from your originating machine and then use pwconv to update/synchronise them. You'll need to restore the relevant /home directories for your users too.

For transferring user accounts:
man ap

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

That looks like an awesome resource, Tony. Unfortunately, we're only allowed to award "little stars". I think that one deserves a BIG star.

Well, thank you. That document also owes a lot to input from J.P. Radley, Bill Vermillion, Jeff Liebermann and probably many others.

I couldn't tell you how many SCO upgrades I've done in the past twenty years or so - probably hundreds. Of course nowadays I'm more apt to be moving someone to Linux, but the basic principles stay the same.

Tony Lawrence
Linux/Unix/Mac OS X Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back