Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore NT to New Server w/ diff hardware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssoulages

Programmer
Aug 1, 2002
US
How would I (or can I) restore system files from NT to a new server with different hardware. We need to maintain local and global groups, permissions, users, printers, etc...

Hi,

Restoring\moving an NT install to a different HW can be tried , but i wouldnt bet on a successful restore.
The drivers being restored will not match with the new HW and you might get a BLUS SCREEN.

what you might try is to install the OS and restore only the SAM onto the new server.

cheers
speshalyst
So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Thanks Speshalyst! A call to MS support yesterday confirms this. They recommended we start from scratch. Oh Joy!

A possible way to get round this - Do the restore of the files - Okay, so it would now give BSOD's.

However, have the NT Server CD in the Drive and do a install - it will detect that NT already exists - DO a repair on this and it will copy down the new Hardware files.

Had this problem and this solution fixed it for me more than 2 years ago now.

let us know how you go.

Thanks
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back