Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveB42

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
US
1. System came up this morning, but 'homevg' did not ... tried to manually varyon (varyonvg homevg), but it said a drive was missing.

2. Booted into maintenance mode, found the bad drive, removed (physically) and replaced it.

3. Here is where I screwed up. I still needed to restore the homevg so I got the tapes. Well, long story short, the system will not boot and I accidently destroyed the rootvg.

4. So, I get the sysback6000 full restoral tapes and everything is going fine until it says "hdisk5 residing at (SCSI address) is no longer in the system at that location. This problem needs to be fixed before you can continue the installation."

SO, how do I remove this old non-existent hardrive definition from a machine that will not boot from anything but a tape or floppy?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:)

Once you boot from your sysback tape it may throw some error like this or that is missing but that is fine. You have to continue and then select volume group information then select the drives for rootvg and the other vgs. While selecting it will also tell you what is the space required in the vgs. It is quite straight forward. Then there is option to go and change the lv properties etc.

So the error is fine you should proceed further. After installtion is complete you will not find any error.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back