Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore is asking for older tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmurphy83

Technical User
May 21, 2012
US
Hi I'm running Arcserve 11.5 and here is what I'm trying to accomplish. Every Saturday I want to run a full backup of my site, and then run incrementals Sun-Fri. Every friday I am changing out tapes so that 1 set is always in the drive, 1 set is in the safe, and 1 set is offsite. Total of 3 sets of tapes in rotation. The problem I am having is that when I come in monday morning to test a restore, arcserve will ask me to put in an older tape. The message I get says "Please insert media source X," where X is a random tape from a previous weeks backup job. Since a weeks worth of tapes is always offsite at any time this isn't possible.

My question is, if I am running a full backup every Saturday (which the logs claim to be successful), why would it need to restore data from an older tape? What can I do to tell arcserve to simply use the last full backup as a restore point. If this helps here are a few of my settings.

* overwrite same media name, or blank first, then any media is checked
* I have all my media in 1 pool with a 0 day retention time on the save set so everything goes straight to scratch
* Schedule is set to use rotation scheme, Sun-Fri = Incremental, Sat = Full. Daily backup method = incremental, I do not have enable GFS checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back