Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Individual Email and Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingerthedog

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2006
US
I am trying to restore an individual email and three .doc attachments with BE 9.1 on an Exchange 2003 SP2 server. When I run the restore job and select the email the job runs and says its successful. But then when I check the mailbox that email still isn't in there. What am I doing wrong? Can I restore that email as a file instead of back into the mailbox?

Perhaps you'd like to share the solution in case someone else stumbles across the same situation later on.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Ok, here we go.

So my A/V got an update but there was a bug with the update. The Exchange agent went through our mailstore and started marking old .doc files as trojans and replaced the document file with a txt file. I was trying to recover the original document file...I still had the old email.

In 9.1 it's hard to tell which message you are restoring if they all have the same subject. I have about 8 messages with the same subject but only some of them have attachments. I was restoring all of the files into their original location and realized that even though according to Outlook I have 40+ messages in that folder, BE only had about 22 messages. Some of those missing messages where the ones I was attempting to recover. I choose the 8 messages in BE with the correct subject but really there were about 12 messages with that subject.

Long story short it was working the whole time, I just didn't know it because the files I wanted back are showing up in BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back