Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore IIS using backup tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper911

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
GB
The IIS server failed and the OS was reinstalled and IIS is now on it. I want to know what parts regarding the IIS config I need to restore from tape. I am guessing I need to restore the inetsrv folder but was wondering what else would be needed? When I google this, I can only find material regarding restoring through the IIS MMC which is not what I want.

Any advice much appreciated...

Not sure if this will work but try renaming the fresh metabase.bin file to metabase.ori and restore metabase.bin from a backup tape

I should have pointed out that this is IIS 6. I restored metabase.xml (what bin was in IIS 5) but then IIS Admin service would not start. Turned out that the MachineKeys folder contains a key that starts with c2319....this key is used to encrypt the xml file (im sort of paraphrasing from another article). Ok, so I restored the c2319 key but again that made no difference.

Decided to cut my losses, and do it from scratch, luckily the data was backed up so should not be too bad.

I know a full restore of the c drive would have worked but I did not have the time and it may have been messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back