Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore History

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsnafe911

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2002
QA
Is it possible to know what has been restored for a client and when it was done?...can I get a log of all restore history been done on either the server or client?

Hi

I have asked Legato this same question a while ago as I was trying to find out who restored a file onto a production system that caused loads of problems.

The response was that there is no such thing I'm afraid.

Birky
Thank you for replying....I hope there is a way to do that since its very critical especially if you a group of backup administrators

Hi

Please let us know if you do find something because as I say we never found out exactly who restored the file and Legato Support said it wasn't possible which seems a little bit odd.

Networker creates a log file called "networker.log" (or networkr.log) etheir on the root of the filesystem or in the networker log directory.

This file is erased each time a new restore operation is done but contains all what you need.

Maybe if you let a tail command in backroung on that file you're gonna be able to log all restore operations to another files (this could be done as well for UNIX and Windows, you only have to obtain the GNU tail command for windows).

I think you really could do it by this way.

PS: This log file is stored on EACH client ! Good luck !

You can get a log of the following information by scanning the /nsr/logs/daemon.log

Date/Time of restore, client, saveset name, savetime, size of restore

You could also get the information if it's a redirected restore to an alternate client. Unfortunately you can't get the following info:

1) Which specific files were restored (only the name of the saveset)
2) Where they were restored to (aside from the destination client)

grep "starting read" /nsr/logs/daemon.log = when a restore started
grep "reading done" /nsr/logs/daemon.log = when a restore completed and how much was restored

grep browsing /nsr/logs/daemon.log = name of client / userid

then just tie them up based on date.

Hope this helps.

Just a small correction:

grep "done reading" (not "reading done")
to see how much was restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back