Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore from spanned backup problem [BAB 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

squalo

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
IT
Hi all. I have a great problem: i need to restore some files from a backup on 5 media. Now my first media has been formatted and i need to recover files on the second media. I tried to merge data of the secon media, but Brightstore says "Invalid session header signature. (SIG=ffffffff). I tried to do a sequential merge, using regedt32 and adding the "DonotUseCatalogData" value, but it still gives the same error. I didn't succeed in doing a sequential merge nor a sequential scan. What's wrong?
I need urgent help, please.
Thanks in advance.

I am curious to know if you have managed to reolve your dilemma? I'll be posting the following in a new thread in a bid to get some feedback.

I have a very similar instance where Seq#1 seems to restore quite well without the assistance of Seq#2. Whereas Seq#2 asks for Seq#1 and then refuses to accept it. My assumption is that they're from two sessions.

When I've then run a "merge" on Seq#2, it requests Seq#3, which does not appear to exist.

I'm desperate to find a solution, as the client's hard drive disintregrated and a complete rebuild is required, and of course maximum data recovery.

The GM has agreed that cutting budgetary corners wasn't really the best move and the new system should have mirrored drives at least.

JdV

Have you tried using RESTORE BY BACKUP MEDIA? Select Restore and then choose the RESTORE BY BACKUP MEDIA method. Choose the tape you want data from and then it's probably a good idea to choose an alternate destination in the restore destination screen, so you don't step on what already exists on the original destination.

Let us know
~arcagent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back