Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore from recovered CTF files

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggflan

Technical User
Feb 13, 2007
GB
I have just had to run a chkdsk /R on the disk array that holds our FSD. The result was nearly all the S00******.CTF files we recovered in a found.000 folder rather than in the appropriate FSD. I have tried copying the S00******.CTF, regenerating the FSD then merging the device but still cannot see the copied sessions to restore from.
I have also tried creating a new device and following the procedure again with the same results.
The found.000 does not contain the HEADER.CTF files.
Has anyone had to do this before? Am I missing something? Any ideas? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sorted it!!!

If you ever have to do this the steps I followed are shown below:
Identify where the session file came from. I was lucky I had a DAILY and WEEKLY device I was backing up to so could work this out using the dates. If needed you can view the .ctf file in notepad to find clues as to what is held on that session.
Copy the recovered session files to the appropriate FSD (Ensure you have the Tape Engine stopped) but be careful not to overwrite any existing files. If any files do match existing ones rename the recovered files by giving them a number not currently on the FSD.
Run a Scan on all sessions of the FSD. This may well throw up errors. Check the Job log to see what session files are causing problems and move them to a temporary holding folder.
Run a scan again on all sessions and repeat until it is successful.
Run a merge on all sessions. Once the merge has completed the backed up data can be restored as normal.

As yet I do not know what I am going to do with the session files throwing up errors. For the time being I wll try a few things to get them working but suspect I will probably just delete them as duff files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back