Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore from failed backup possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmonolith

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2004
US
After some research and conflicting opinions regarding this question, I thought I would attempt to ask the brilliant minds on tek-tips.

We are running a brand new Full/Differential media set that was created after receiving multiple errors connecting to our Exchange databases. I am running a FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs) on the Exchange portion for both the Weekly Full AND the daily Differential backups because we are experiencing weird periodic dumps and our transaction log files are filling up the hard drive. This is a whole issue in itself.

My question is this:

If we receive a Failed differential backup, can we still restore from the good portions of the backup? For example, if our backup is completely successfull with the exception of this -

---------------------------------------------------
Performing Remote Agent backup

Media Name: "Media created 6/24/2004 09:30:01 PM"
Backup of "\\MS\D$ "
Backup set #5 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "system backup:Diff"
Backup Type: DIFFERENTIAL - Changed Files
Backup started on 6/24/2004 at 9:32:26 PM.
The connection to the data to backup has been lost. Backup set canceled.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 6/24/2004 at 9:37:48 PM.
Backed up 804 files in 84 directories.
Processed 5,827,519 bytes in 5 minutes and 22 seconds.
Throughput rate: 1.0 MB/min
Software compression ratio: 1.5:1
-----------------------------------------------------

Can we still restore from all the other drives and remote devices that DID backup? What about the 804 files on the failed drive?

I have talked to a few people about this and MOST (including Symantec Tech Support) tell me that the good portions of the backup are still good. I have heard that this may not be true.

So, what is the answer? I haven't been able to find much information on google or alltheweb regarding this.

DJ,

To clarify your question, are you trying to recover exchange data?

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back