Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore folder with hidden files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethian1

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
I have a Restore folder on C: It has 94mB of hidden files that refuse to be opened. When I try to open them in Properties by unchecking the Hidden category, a window appears that gives a choice between applying changes “To this folder” and “To this folder and subfolders…”. Either choice results in a window that says “An error occurred in applying attributes to the file…Access is denied.” No matter what I do I cannot gain access.

What are these hidden files and do I need them? If so, can and should I open them?

Windows ME.

I don't have WinME but I wonder... is this the folder that backs up your data to restore to a previous configuration?

Howdy:

Those folders are for the System Restore feature in WinME and up. Everytime you install or uninstall something or when you have a successful startup, Windows makes a "Restore Point".. If something real nasty were to happen to your system, you use one of the "Restore Points" to move your system back in time to when it was working properly.

If all is okay, simply disable System Restore.. that will dump all restore points, and then re-enable it.. OR, keep it disabled.. your choice !!

Murray

An excellent, clear response. Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back