Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore files from another client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoisDude

MIS
Jan 3, 2001
PR
This software is hard to work with sometimes, I have a box that got it's host name, and IP changed a few months back. We upgraded to 6.00... (removing the old 5.20 and all the catalogs and indexes and, well... everithing regarding NetWorker)

Now I need to restore close to three tapes into the machine. I tryed many of the notes posted here, in Tek-tips.... without success...

Could a NetWorker Guru/God, help this simple man in his magical quest!!!

PS: Yes... A desperate person sometimes looses his sense of real and unreal... And I am about to bring this box down (with a big and heavy hammer right in the middle of the tape drive!!!)

thnkx L8ter!

Hey,

You said you tried many of the tips.. Have you tried scanner? And what errors did you receive? Were you doing bootstrap saves prior to the upgrade?

You must set up a trusted host.
1] Add the old servername in /etc/hosts with the IP of the current server. ( at the end of the file )

2] Create a new client with the name of the old server.
Fill into the field 'remoteaccess=root@<currentservername>

3] Change the ip of old_server to a fake one

4] scanner -i -c old_clientName
to get the tapes back into the index

5] recover -c old_clientName

Don't know if the Legato version 6 can read legato version 5 tapes . But you could try

Scanner is definitely what you need to use. First, you'll have to get the tape into the drive, which is fairly simple, even in a jukebox.

1. Inventory the tape for the label
2. nsrjb -l -n <volume label>
3. the tape will load into a drive, but not mount
4. scanner -i <drive name>

This will run a few hours for each tape. Once finished, you can do a directed recovery to the location you want to place the data. This works just fine when reading tapes from older versions such as 6.1 to 5.5, but you can not scan in tapes made on newer versions of Legaot because the indexes are unreadable to older versions.

Forgot to mention, you &quot;may&quot; eventually have problems with the ssids on these restored savesets conflicting with ssids on the newly created zone. This is because the data from these recovered ssids will not automatically drop off after the retention period expires. They will only go away if you manually remove them.

Eventually, the ssids from the new data zone may equal the ssids from the recovered tapes and you will have issues. This can be worked around only by removing one of the save sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back