Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore fails 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondelacruz

Technical User
Aug 31, 2005
US
Hi,

Does anybody know why Arcerver 6.5 says unreadable media after you stop and restart services.

Hi,
Are you sure the 2 are related ? And are you able to read the media at all ?

1. using the tape cleaner often helps
2. Is this a tape that written to by the same tape drive ?

Sorry, you're going to have to be more specific on the environment, OS, patches/build levels, hardware in use etc -it could be any one of a thousand reasons.

Sorry to confuse you guys. Here's the backgrounder

I have an NT box,SP6a,running arcserve 6.5 (build 620) and an HP surestor T20 tape drive. This box crashed because the DAC960 SCSI drive was not detecting the Harddisk (was ded). I was able to take it back online but the data on the drive was wiped out(nil).

It has been like this whenever I start/stop arcserve services or rebooted the server it will always give me an unreadable media thing. I just do a quick erase before backing up and it successuflly backs up data.
So I was doing a restore from the tape and it gave me an E3702 unable to connect to group. I checked out the ca website and I did not see anything useful pertaining to this error code.

Yes, NATCAT this is the same tape it was written to.

Is there a workaound this error. I know the data is still on the tape, I just don't know how to get it.

Thank you very much for your prompt response...

Also remember to disable/unload any NT Tape device drivers in NT Control Panel.

did this already.. To no avail. I also did the upgrade to build 220.
I tried to restore the database, merge and compare today and it give these same error:

E6913: your data tape on[] serial number[] is at risk.
1. Copy any data require from this tape. Do not use this tape again.
2. Restart operation with another tape.

What Have I done wrong???

This sounds like your media or drive heads are damaged - try with a another tape and see if you get the same problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back