Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Exchange to a TEST server

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJCopa

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
GB
Hi There.

I'm keen to test out backup/DR plan, and now have a spare server with sufficient disk space to do this.

We have a dedicated Backup server, with Brightstor 11.5 sp4 on all other servers, connected with a HP Ultrium 440 8 Tape Loader.

We run MS Exchange 2003, and this is the main 'beast' I'd like to test. However, I'm not too sure of the best way to achieve this, acting as if the live Exchange server is unrecoverable (dead).

If I install Exchange on server first, but leave it on same subnet, I'm worried it'll muck up our live system. If I put the test server on a different subnet, BrightStor cannot see it to restore to. As it's a Tape Loader, I'm loathed to install SCSI card,etc in test server,and move TapeLoader over, only to have to replace it all for nightly backups,etc.

Has anyone out there got any tips for me please?

Thanks in advance.

hi ,

The test server should have same server name ,organisation name and the storage groups also the mail store

Instal CA exchange agent on test server

Dismount the mailstore on test server

In the Brightstor arcserve backup goto restore by session
rightclick on the session on the agent option

Make sure you have unchecked all the option

In the destination select goldden platter on the the test server

start restore

Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for the reply. I'm guessing, as I don't want to have this server on our domain, that I'm going to have to physically attach the TapeLoader to the server? Am I able to restore priv1.edb, log files,etc. first (to a folder) and then take server ouit of domain, and then attach priv1.edb?

I'm guessing this isn't possible, as Brightstor Exchange Restore probably does some 'magic' to re-attach databases, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

No you don't want you exchange server on your network. I would suggest having a test server(lab) with vmware on it. So that you can set up multiple exchange servers on the same box.

Get Fat Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back