Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Exch 5.5 Mailbox to Exch 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluechips

MIS
Oct 17, 2002
US
We upgraded all of our systems from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 in conjunction with an upgrade from NT 4.0 to Win2K and Active Directory.

Now, the boss wants to restore a mailbox from a user who left before the upgrade was done.

The 5.5 server was backed up to tape (ArcServe2000)

I have built a new server with the original name of the 5.5 mailserver and tried to run Exchange 5.5 setup.exe /r to allow me to restore the IS and directory from the tape to the new server. But, I get a message telling me that Exchange can't be installed as it is incompatible with the installed version of Windows, which is 2K.

Are there any other methods I might use to restore this users mailbox? For example, could it be restored to Exch 2k from the brick level backup if I first create an identical account for the user whose mailbox I am interested in recovering?

Unfortunately, my budget doesn't have an extra grand in it to get the least expensive version of this fine product.

If you boss wants it that bad, he will need to come up with the cash.

Or ... rebuild the original NT4 server and Exchange 5.5, restore the mailbox and export it to a PST.
Then, you can do as you like with it, for free.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Generally you try and restore Exchange back to the environment it was originally. In this case, having a separate Windows version is a major change. Try restoring to a NT box.
There are also programs out there like those from Ontrack.com and OfficeRecovery.com which can restore exchange mailboxes - the OfficeRecovery has the advantage that it can even extract mail form a corrupt backup.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back