Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore db

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCM

MIS
Sep 12, 2002
US
Greetings,

For some unknown reasons, the shared folder where the ms access db is stored disappeared. The IT department was able to restore the db. Since the restore, when users click the ‘attachment’ button they no longer see the folder where the attachments are stored. Instead, ‘My documents’ window appears.

I checked the code to verify the path to the attachment location is correct.
I did compact & repair, and performed link table manager.

Is there any place I need to check?

TIA

Regards,

OCM

Sounds like corruption. I am assuming you have looked at the code and it isn't something simple like some test that is different in a different situation.

There is the decompile command line switch. It removes compiled code that compact/repair won't clean up. If it is corrupt, bad happens... Below is an example using Access 2013 32 bit on 64bit machine... basically find your correct path. I often put this in a shortcut but batch file or run should also work fine.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.exe" "DatabasePathAndFile" /decompile

Continuing down the list if it is still broke...

Next try creating a new file and importing everything into it.

Next...

There are also two undocumented procedures. That take object constants similar to docmd.close...

The example below would save a form to text file and load it from text file... I would save to text from the corrupt database, import the other 'good' objects and then load the bad object from text. In theory you could do this for all your objects to have the best chance of recovery. Do not save links, just recreate them.

Code:
SaveAsText acForm, "FormName", "C:\temp.txt"
LoadfromText acForm, "FormName", "C:\temp.txt"

Next try an earlier backup or recreate the object manually.

It is possible that IT did not put back the correct permissions on the folder so you can see it and your users might not...

Simi

lameid/Simi,

Thank you both for your reply post and helpful suggestions.
The attachment is now working. Apparently, the IT department recovered the wrong version of the DB.

Regards,

OCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back