Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore DB in bigger partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaimegu

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
CA
Hi There!

Due to resizing, We had to reinstall a SCCS Backup. Partitions in Active SCCS are 4x8GB, and partitions in Backup SCCS are 4x16GB.
Our provider says we cannot restore a database from active server in this backup server so we are to lose all historic data, and type all configurations again.
Is that true? what can be lost if we try to restore?

What release of SCCS is this? Ask your provider to refer to the section on the Database Expansion Utility.

SCCS 4.2
The expansion utility didn't work quite right, because the problem relies in the hard disk partitions.

actually is it not true. U can try copying out the data from the database drives, delete the partition, form a bigger partition. Copy back the data that you had copied out earlier, do a database expansion using the utility and try to do a restore....

I did it and it works... no issues at all.. except that you need to copy out the database... a few Gbytes i think....

Good Luck... :)

You will have to handle the new install as a migration. Configure your drives at 16 Gb. Complete the migration per documentation. Then after you are done with that you can use the Database Expansion Utility. The system will only use the first 8 Gb until you expand it to see the rest of the partition. This works, I have done it many times. Follow the migration guide. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back