Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore database - problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodno

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
NO
Environment:
Win2003 server/MS Sql Server 2000(SP3a)

Problem:
When I try "restore database from device" sql-server cannot find some backup files and sometimes not even the folders containing the backup files. It can find c:\backup but not files and folders inside. If I move one of these backup-files to c:\temp, Sql-server might find it but trying to restore the file return an error: "this file" is not a valid Microsoft tape format backup set.

I see that some people experience similar (browsing)problems when trying to restore a file from another server/share but not on local files.

I reinstalled SP3a but nothing changed.

Thanks

Since you are running this job manually, it is probably running with your permissions. Do you have permissions to access the files? (Double check, sometimes files get marked as read-only, sometimes permissions get messed up).

How were the backups made?

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

SQLBill,

I have checked the permissions earlier and I checked it again but everything seems to be ok.

Seems like I have to uninstall&install Sql server and attach all the databases. I had hoped to find another solution since there seems to be no repair option available on the cd.

Sorry SQLBill, I checked it again and found that "system" was not there. After I added "system" Enterprise Manager could see all files and the import database was working again.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back