Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore cross platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaz0181

MIS
Jun 20, 2006
GB
OK - I'm running veritas netbackup 4.5 data center edition running on solaris 8 and would like to do a test restore. The data to be restored was backed up from a windows2000 client, but i would like to restore it to a folder residing on different solaris machine. Is this possible?

Yes, this will work. Choose your restore location in the restore options.

While going from a windows source to a UNIX client can be done there are things to look for.
1. Permissions and ownerships
2. spaces and longnames
3. whacky name created called SeCuRiTy.something

Its been a while since I've done this but yes it can be done. You may aslo run into the "alternate client restore" problems. Give 'er a try and let us know. OK?

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Also the file will temporarily be named MaNgLeD

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Restoring files from Windows NT backup to UNIX Filesystems with NetBackup
Details:
VERITAS NetBackup (tm) will allow the restore of data from a supported Windows (Fat32/NTFS) filesystem to a supported UNIX (ufs, xfs, efs, ext2, ext3, etc) filesystem. However, due to the major differences between Windows filesystem and UNIX, the data of binary files will not be translated properly when the restore completes.

VERITAS Technical Services does not guarantee filesystem compatibility when trying to restore files to a different filesystem type than the original. VERITAS Technical Services highly recommends against restoring Windows files to a UNIX filesystem in a production environment. This procedure is known not to work, and therefore is not supported.

Bob Stump

thanks for all your responses - i'll give it a go. its just proof of concept really - i need to test a windows backup but have no disk space to do a test restore anywhere except on a unix box. I'll see how i get on. Thanks

Yeah...the restore will place a file called SeCurIty.xx in the root partition.

Bob Stump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back