Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore by Session Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzyb

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
I am trying to restore a database by Session on a test server. However, with restore by session selected, the source shows the media but does not list any individual files. The details show there to be thousands of files, but they don't show up in the session. The backup log showed a successful backup. Do I have to merge the tape even though the session is recognized? The session has not been pruned.

I am using ARCserve 6.5 on W2K SP1. Some of the sessions on other tapes are fine, but some are like this. Any ideas? I am fairly new to ARCserve and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Actually, to correct the above info, this server is running ARCserve 2000, not 6.5.
Thanks.

I found out that even though the ARCserve database Restore by Session info shows the session I am looking for, but without the file listing, it may still be manually merged from the tape. Having done that, it works fine and is restorable. Thanks.

Hi,

I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I think there is an option for the Verification level under the job options for "Scan Media Contents" or similar which might will help with this. Sorry but I am doing this from memory as I don't have access the ARCserve at the moment.

Kind regards,

Peeky

If your session was not merged after the restore for some reason, then they will not show. To verify succesful merge of the .cat files after restore, check the arcserve\temp directory and verify that there are no *.cat files there. These files contain all of the detailed session data and correspong to the astpsdat database. If you check the temp folder and see lots of cat files then from the command line and the arcserve directory, run the mergecat.exe utility. This will merge any sessions that were forgotten.

Hope this helps.

I'm new to Tek-Tips and on my first day here I've found an answer to a problem I was having. Very cool. Thanks!

I have the same kind of problems when using ARCserve V9 for Windows.
The backup is correct.
Also the logfile shows that the files and folders within the session are correctly merged and also correctly catalogised.
When I look in the restore option, I see the sessions but not the structure of the files and folders beneath it.
I must also merged the tapes manually.
When this is done, the files and folders beneath the session will appear and are useable for restoring.
I must "help" ACRserve a little bit....
I thought that our virusscanner is the source of this problem because it realtime scanned the database directory when the CATfiles came in.
I change the virusscanner in that case so that it will never scanned the database folder but the problem is not solved with this action.
Anyone any ideas?

HI..

This could be a problem with the arcserve database...

merge the tape back into thte database and check if you see the folder structure...

check for r*.* files in the database folder...
stop the DB engine and delete all these files..

empty the ARcserve\temo folder tooo..

try a backup and check again..

speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Hi

For the longest time, my merges weren't working as well. I used the mergecat.exe utility to manually merge cat files to the database. Went through a lot of troubleshooting - replacing the database, re-installing the software, removing r*.* from the Database folder etc.

I've finally managed to get the GUI feature to work as it should. The solution was to ensure the ArcServe service account has full permissions on the server that ARcServe is installed (i.e, part of the local admin group on the server). This will allow the account to modify the ArcServe database. Additionally, the ARcServe account should have full permissions on ArcServe$, and be able to 1. Log on as service, 2. Log on locally & 3. Act as part of the operating system.

GI
[gorgeous]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back