Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore an archived database under a different name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imosri

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
MX
Hi,

Here it is the scenario: We create .cab files from one specific cube. Management is asking to bring back a very old .cab in order to compare against the actual cube information.

When trying to restore the .cab the only option it gives us is to restore the cube with the original name. Can I change the name of the cube at restore?. If so, then I can analyze and report from both cubes at the same time.

I know that I can restore the database in a different server and work from both servers, but it is a little confusing to use same cube different servers configuration, it better to have same server different cube names.

Thanks in advance.

imosri

I don't believe you can change the name upon restore like a relational database. AS 2K is really picky in when it comes to changing things.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I found the following:

For small cubes it seems it will work just fine. Remember that what I want to do is put two versions (new and old) of the same cube on one server.

Go to Analysis Manager:

1. Backup actual cube.
2. Delete actual cube.
3. Restore Old backup
4. Right click on cube, select copy
5. Right click on Server, click paste, give the cube a new name, say cube2
6. Delete actual cube
7. Restore cube with the just recently created backup

For small, non-mission critical cubes, it seems to work fine. It is just too risky and time demanding for big cubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back