Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Active Directory Without Restoring System State

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITrusto

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Hello,

Has anyone tried to restore active directory WITHOUT restore the whole system state? Win 2000 Server's native backup utility does not let you do this.

My company uses a midrange Dell server that I backup on a DLTIV tape. First I backup the system state to hard disk using Window's backup utility, then I backup the hard disk to the tape using Backup Exec (it costs extra to add the open files module to backup the system state using backup exec).

To ensure that I could restore our domain controller in the event of a fire, theft, or similar disaster I tried to restore the server to a spare Windows 2000 Server box. I had to restore the whole system state. The restore seemed to go OK until it needed to reboot, then came the blue screen of death.

I can't risk restoring the server onto itself unless it has a problem, and we don't have an identical piece of hardware to try restoring to. Thus my need for restoring active directory without restoring the system state (which contains hardware specific configurations).

Thanks in advance for your help.

You won't be able to do this. System State Data itself contains Active Directory and other system protected files depending on the role of the server.

sometimes if the main server itself crashes and you have to restore the system to its original state, the drive letter that contains the system files had to be the same as the original.

I have a question about this subject as well. In order to back up AD I only have to backup "system state"? And if I have to restore I would need to format the computer? What is the protocol?

To restore the system state on a domain controller using NTBackup, you have to start the computer in Directory Services Restore Mode, then choose your Windows 2000 installation. You'll need to supply the original administrator username and password that you used to DCPROMO.
Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Backup.
Hit the Restore tab.
Choose your backup media and the system state to restore.

You also have to restore the SYSVOL folder, and choose the option to restore "junction points and data".

Reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back