Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restarting services on remote server from command line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2002
GB
Hi
I was wondering if there was a way of restarting a service on a remote machine using something like the NET command and if so how?

At the moment I'm having to log on through terminal services every time I want to restart a service. Problem with this is a) It takes too long and b) I can't always get onto the server.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Use "net start [service]" and "net stop [service]" to start and stop services in the command line.

Have you tried rconsole? It works like a freakin' charm for us here...it comes with the 2000 Resource Kit.
You install it and run the setup on the box from the machine you want to connect from and you have a remote command line with which you can issue your "NET" commands...
the cool thing is that you can script it to connect and issue a specific command and immediately disconnect...
just make sure you run a "NET USE" to an admin share on the remote machine...you need the authentication through this connection to run the rconsole...

If you are a gui man you can connect to a remote machine via Computer Management. (Right click Computer Management (local) to change the focus) On the other hand, the relatively small investment in a management tool like Dameware is very worthwhile.

I'm using TightVNC. Very cool app. You can actually see the remote's desktop screen. You have to try this and its free...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got it working via Computer Management console but this is a bit clunky.
I'll have a look at running rconsole

check out psexec at sysinternals.com. It's free, does what you want with no remote service installed. they have a whole suite of free tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back