Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restarting RPC Service after Disabling /Symantec Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcastner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
There have been several threads about problems restarting the Remote Procedure Call and other service problems under Windows XP after manually disabling the RPC service, or using the Symantec MSBLAST removal tool.

The RPC service is one of the more complicated service in XP, and on my machine I list 22 dependent services on RPC. This is why for the last two days I have recommended against disabling this service. It might be difficult to create a restart order to have your machine function correctly.

If you cannot restart RPC service, or have very odd problems in other Windows service areas, I suggest two possible "fixes":

1. Pick a restore point, if possible, from several days ago.

2. Download the file DefaultAllPro.zip or DefaultAllHome.zip from Black Vipers site. Unpack, and double click to merge the registry edits.

Reboot.

If you have customized your services, those settings are retained. If you have disabled a service, it is now enabled so you will have to go back and change the setting.

And please, leave the RPC service entry alone in the future. You can set the default failure action and the timer settings if you choose, but do not stop or disable the service.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I was hoping you would answer. Sorry, I didn't see your thread first. I will try these things tomorrow.

And... Happy Anniversary!!!

--Debbie

Thank you.

I hope the tip works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back