Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restarting CF under a load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenNECIVSIPS

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
US
Hi, we have recently upgraded all of our servers to CFMX from 5. (The upgrade went horribly, but that is another story)

Quite a few times we have had to restart in the middle of the day, under a pretty heavy load. I understand that unlike CF5, the system will be slower right after a restart because it has to cache all of the pages. But we experience a weird problem.

Right after a restart, the number of active and queued requests begin to rise, and the CPU usage goes to 100%. After the active and queued requests go through the roof, the CPU drops to 0% and nothing happens, after minutes we restart the CF service again, and again active and queued requests rise, CPU rises, then drops to 0% and does nothing. We restart again, and eventually active and queued requests come back down (as does my blood pressure) and everything goes back to normal.

My question: How can we restart CF during a load, without wringing our hands and waiting for minutes before it begins responding again?

Thanks!

You might take this to Macromedia's Coldfusion support forums. Team Macromedia Personnel will be able to help you more than people here, I'm sure. Just because they have the inside knowledge.

CF has many issues that cause it to hit 100% cpu usage.. and has for the last 2 or 3 major version releases.

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

You may want to check through these: faq232-3662

I don't think any of them would be causing what you're seeing, but it's worth a try.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb
Beer Consumption Analyst

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back