Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restart Web site for database update/maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelant

MIS
May 26, 1999
CA
The following question was posted in the ASP forum for awhile but did not get any response. Hope it can do better in this forum.<br>
<br>
I am using ASP in my Web site with Access databases. Occasionally, I need to refresh (restart) the site to reset some parameters as well as to update the databases. Will the Sub Application_OnEnd do the job? How can I force an "OnEnd"? In fact, do I need to refresh the site at all?<br>
I am new to the Web application development with databases. Is there some general rules of thumb to handle database updates/maintenance? <br>
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I'm not well acquianted with MS Access being used with ASP, but I would think (do to my limited expertise in IDC) that refreshing the web site, and refreshing the database should be two differant functions, possible done on a scheduled basis (along with backing up, and such).

I'm not sure about the ASP end of this, but you might want to use a meta tag to stop caching of the page to make sure your visitors are seeing the most updated version instead of an older version that may be residing in their computer's internet cache; that's about all the help I can give on this one though.<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

I assume that you're runing your own server. If you then then why not simply create a new virtual server that runs a mirror of your database pages, including seperate replected databases. That way you can simply update the replica and then redirect users away from the 'Live' database to the copy while you run the update and perform any maintenance required.

A slightly easier method might be to redir. visitors to the replicas BEFORE changing anything; update the main db; stop the redirection; then just copy the main db back out to the now deserted replicas for next time (you can even do this via a kind of CGI-script.....have the script track how often the db is hit....have it start tracking @ the first hit; then auto-copy itself from the master if it goes for 3 days w/o a hit......may take a little time up front, but can save LOTS of time AND headaches later.<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Sounds like good advice, I'd go with that one If I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back